The vaccine protocol I recommend is:
- First shots at 9 weeks old, MLV Parvovirus/Distemper ONLY.
- Second shots at 12 weeks- MLV Parvovirus/Distemper ONLY.
- 16-20 weeks: MLV Parvovirus/Distemper ONLY.
- 24 weeks (or older, if allowable by law), Killed Rabies Vaccine, given ALONE, not in conjunction with any other vaccines.
- 1 year: MLV Parvo/Distemper Booster. Also at 1 year, but at least 3-4 weeks apart from the other, Killed Rabies Vaccine, afterwards, every 3-5 years as allowable by law.
- No vaccines against Leptospirosis or Bordetella.
General Information on Vaccinations:
Leptobactrin - do not recommend.
Corona Virus Vaccine - do not recommend. If required by trainer or kennel, give at 18 & 22 weeks.
Bordetella Vaccine - do not recommend. If required by trainer or kennel, give at 22 weeks.
Rabies Vaccine Ė not to be given at same time as any other vaccine or during stress or surgery.
General Precautions During Vaccination Period:
- Donít administer drugs, flea preventive, heartworm preventive or wormers. The exception to this is topical flea prevention, which is what we strongly recommend using (only IF you have trouble with fleas; your dog may not need flea preventative all year!)
- Donít give any vaccines to a bitch "in season".
- Donít give any vaccines to a pregnant or lactating bitch.
- Donít incur undue stress.
- Donít introduce air travel.
- Don't board outside the known home.
GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VACCINATION:
Donít vaccinate under stress; corticosteriods inhibit lymphocyte metabolism and cell growth. Adrenalin releases lymphocytic AMP (cyclic) which is immunosuppressive. Stress decreases the activity of natural killer cells.
Donít vaccinate within 2 weeks of surgery. Anesthetics are immunosuppressive.
Donít vaccinate before 6 weeks of age. MLV vaccine can cause encephalitis in pups under 4 wks.
Donít routinely vaccinate older animals. Administer a biannual vaccine at 1/2 dose each 6 months IF necessary.
Donít administer multiple virus vaccines to dogs and cats in multiple animal households. Virus shedding can create increased virus particles in the environment.
Donít vaccinate sick animals or those who have been exposed to disease.
Donít vaccinate during glucocorticoid therapy. Be cautious with butazolidin, estrogens and insecticidal drugs including heartworm preventives.
Donít vaccinate animals with tumors, heart or kidney disease.
The diagrammed schedule is based on Cornell Research of the early 90ís reported by Dr. W. Jean Dodds, currently a holistic veterinarian in Southern California.
YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TELL YOUR VET NO WHEN THEY OFFER VACCINES YOU DON'T WANT!